Let’s talk Fat Loss! I have been working really hard since April to lose fat from my body, ultimately losing a few pounds and getting healthier. It has not been smooth sailing and I am not where I want to be yet but I am getting there. I’ve been following Slimming World online which has helped a lot with making some key nutritional changes and exchanges. Losing body fat hasn’t exactly been a fun experience but this is the first time I have stuck something out with longevitity. I think it’s really helped having our Fat Club Friday supper clubs and WhatsApp group for moral support and sharing the times when it’s been tough or I have lacked motivation. The thing is, I am on a mission to be the absolute best version of myself and having a healthier body is a massive part of that.
Since starting Slimming World in April I’ve lost 22lbs. I’ve had big losses and small gains in that time each week but on average I have consistently lost around 2lbs a week. One of the biggest changes I’ve made is starting a workout challenge where I work out for 15 minutes a day, usually a HIIT style workout. At first I really struggled but because the workouts changed every single day I am not bored of them and I can push through and continue with them. I’ve also been trying some Yoga Flows which are really helping me stretch and regain some flexibility in my body. All of these changes have resulted in fat loss, a healthier mind and more energy.
Obviously I’ve been watching what I eat, cutting way down on takeaways, cakes and share bags of crisps. I am eating a lot more salad and veggies too. What I do like about Slimming World is you don’t have to cut out any food groups which kind of helps but I do like to try a few SP days here and there to cut back on the carbs. I’ve cut out white bread and opted for wholegrains and wholewheat where I can. We’ve still gone out for meals, we’ve still had some takeaways and we’ve had birthdays to celebrate so we’ve still had some cake too.
I wanted to share a few things I think are absolutely essential when you want to lose fat.
- Some exercise equipment. I hate the gym, it’s not where I want to spend my time so instead I work out at home. I follow YouTube videos and free fitness challenges that come to my inbox with a link to the video. These really help because they remind me to work out. The first thing I have which I recommend is a resistance band. They really help when you’re using your body weight to build muscle and help give some extra resistance when you need it. I also love having a stability ball. Firstly, they’re comfortable to sit on and they really help with good form for squats. You can also use them to help with balance, stretching and floor exercises. I also got a set of 5lb weights. I could probably go up to 8lbs to be honest but I didn’t want to do any damage so I went with a lower weight to start with and I’ll get a bigger set next month. Of course you can also use filled water bottles or cans if you just want to add a little extra weight. Some workouts for strength training can even be done with a towel.
- A fitness programme you can stick to. I love the Betty Rocker 30 Day challenge. It’s fun, it’s different and it really gets you sweating. I’ve learned a lot of new stretches, workout patterns and it’s just such a good mix. I really like Bree, the trainer too. She’s got so much energy and positivity that she keeps me going through the workout. This might not work for you though and it’s important that you find a programme that works for you. Get some help from a Personal Trainer, get walking, go to the gym, start swimming or take up Yoga. Find a fitness programme you love and that works with your routine. 15 minutes a day is a great place to start.
- A good nutrition guide, fat loss programme or diet guide. I use Slimming World but there are so many to choose from. Find one that works best for your lifestyle and body.
- A FitBit or other health watch, pedometer or app. I love my FitBit HR Charge because it counts my steps and the app records how well I’m sleeping, how often I’m moving and my weight loss. It’s so motivating seeing that little green bar fill up.
- A tape measure and a decent set of scales. If you start measuring inches from the begining you can keep a more accurate track of how your body is changing. A decent set of scales really helps too. I have the Beets Blu Smart Scales which are fantastic. They weigh your water, fat, muscle, BMI and send all the data to an App so you can accurately track the changes you’re feeling in your body. It is so good seeing your muscle mass go up. I reviewed the scales in an earlier blog post.
In all of this there is one thing I’ve learned and that has really kept me going. Rather than focusing on losing weight I’ve been focusing on sticking with my programmes. It is so much easier if your only goal is to stick with your programme. Sticking with it, whatever you’re doing and doing it properly will guarantee results. If you don’t stick to it, you won’t get the results you want. It’s that simple.
Are you currently looking to lose weight? I’d love to hear how you’ve done, what you’re doing and your top tips in the comments below.
This post contains affiliate links.